Saturday, October 23, 2010

Money matters

"I wanna be a billionaire, so... fricking.. bad" (Travie McCoy)

I'm a firm believer that money does not buy happiness.  But it sure makes the journey down that path a little easier if you have some.

Had a rude awakening this week in the form of claims denials from my insurance company.  Long story short, it turns out what UHC calls $2000 of "coverage" counts many of the dollars paid from my pocket while still meeting my deductible.  I've already met my "maximum" even though the insurance company has only paid $1123, because that first $897 that I paid all counts toward the "coverage limit".  Even though I paid it.  $2000 is such a small amount of coverage for infertility benefits to begin with, and then to find out I only get half of what I expected made me pretty sick. The only reason they even paid that much is that I'd already had about $600 out of pocket expenses before TTC.  When the new calendar year begins, I'll be responsible for $1500 before my insurance will pay a whopping $500, and then cut me off again.  That doesn't even cover clinic costs for one cycle.   Doesn't help that I work for a company under the same corporate umbrella as my insurance comes from - hard to have a lot of pride when you're getting burned yourself!

So I sat down again, crunched all the numbers and came up with what I think is a decent new plan.  Fortunately I had saved a decent amount before starting all of this, so I do have the ability to keep trying awhile.  But it will run out, and it's hard not to have that hanging over my head as one more reason I want to get pregnant now, not later.  I also don't like the idea of having depleted my savings just in time to become a single mom, but I will have some time during pregnancy to build it back up a bit again (and then spend it again to get through my maternity leave!)  Sigh....

On a happier note, I've really enjoyed reading other SMC blogs lately.  Some of them have had the same struggles I'm having getting pregnant, and it definitely helps me stay hopeful to see them now enjoying the rewards that made this whole journey worth it.  I know that if I get there, I'll feel the same way.  I guess it's the fear that I won't get there that nags at me.  But here I am, on try #3, and all I can do is stay hopeful that this try or another one soon will work.  I'm doing 100 mgs of clomid again and had a day 3 FUS (follicular ultrasound) which looked good.  Pre-ov FUS will be next Friday afternoon, and I'll have just one vial of sperm shipped that day too.  Going down to one IUI per cycle to help keep the costs down. Also will not do a post-ov FUS this cycle.  The last two months showed that I've ovulating fine, so I feel confident enough that the eggies are dropping not to need that confirmation this time.  Hopefully the timing will be just right, the eggie(s) that drop will be welcoming, and Orlando will do his job! :)

1 comment: